Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

POOLS OF COLOR


I wrote this article for the Spring 2014 Issue of  Altered Arts Magazine.  It is a really fun technique that I call "Pools of Color".  It all begins with an image that you make with colored pencils and cover with white school glue.

It can be as fancy or as simple as you like.  I made a very simple flower and scrolls.  Cover with glue and let dry completely.

Get your paper wet and "drop" very wet watercolors on to the paper.  The paints will mix and do wonderful things.   And, it will not disturb the drawn image because it is protected by the white glue.  Let it dry over night.  I know it looks like a big mess, but it's the details that make this technique beautiful.


Look at your dry paper and find beautiful designs in it to trace.  So many beautiful patterns can be found.  I start with the white space, and then look in the colors.

I hope you have fun with this technique.  It is so relaxing to look for the patterns.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this technique and have all the supplies on hand. I will give it a shot! Love the fun look you got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous technique. I hope every school teacher reads your article and then tries it with their students. Fun with Pools of Colors...Creative Bliss Dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, fun, fun idea, and simple enough to teach to the GDs when they are here. Thanks for sharing, hope our tries at it will be as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful to see you being creative still! I hope you're doing well. :) Just wanted to let you know I've restarted Creative Tuesdays. Uh huh. Would love to have you join us again. You can find me at www.dottyhill.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete